Last Updated: July 1, 2021
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you fill out a form, make a donation, send us an email, sign up to receive updates, request information, sign a petition, sign up as a volunteer, communicate with us via third party social media sites, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we collect may include your name, address, phone number, email address, mobile number, credit card information, and other contact or identifying information you choose to provide.
In addition, the Federal Election Commission (FEC) may require us to collect certain personal information from donors. For example, the FEC requires us to collect (and disclose) the name, mailing address, occupation, and employer of all individuals whose donations exceed $200 per election cycle.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Site
When you access or use our Site, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We log information about your use of the Site, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Site.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Site, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers and mobile network information.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We (and our service providers) use various technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about you. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that helps us to improve our Site and your experience, see which areas and features of our Site are popular and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that may be used in our Site or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We and our service providers may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Site. For example, we may collect information about you from third parties, including but not limited to mailing list providers and publicly available sources. We may also use such information for list matching purposes In addition, if you make a donation through Act Blue for our benefit (such as via the link on the Site), we will obtain certain information about you from Act Blue.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Site;
- Provide and deliver the information you request, process donations and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts,
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your emails, comments, questions and requests and provide customer service, request feedback, and otherwise contact you about your use of the Site;
- Send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with news and information you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various campaigns, candidates, issues, events, resources, promotions, contests, products and services;
- Help connect you with other supporters, and to solicit volunteers, donations and support for Chuck Schumer and for candidates, issues and organizations that we support;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations, including contacting you if other information is necessary under Federal election laws require us to request additional information from you;
- Remind you to vote and register to vote and assist you in finding your registration information, polling location and campaign events near you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Site;
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of FOS and others;
- Personalize and improve the Site and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests or that are based on the information you provide or the actions you take;;
- Process and deliver contest entries and rewards;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
FOS is based in the United States, and is directed to U.S. residents, and we process and store information in the U.S. If you are located outside the U.S., we and our service providers may transfer your information to, or store or access to your information in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
Sharing of Information
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers or volunteers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- With candidates, organizations, campaigns, groups or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles or objectives or share similar goals and with organizations that facilitate communications and information sharing among such groups; (Text messaging originator opt-in data and consent will not be shared with any third parties, provided that the foregoing does not apply to sharing (1) with vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf (and who will not use such information for their own purposes); (2) if we believe disclosure is required by any applicable law, rule, or regulation or to comply with law enforcement or legal process; or (3) if the user consents to our sharing of such information.)
- With other participants in a joint fundraising committee;
- To report required information to the Federal Elections Commission, including name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employers of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 in an election cycle (for additional information, visit the FEC website at http://www.fec.gov);
- When we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of FOS, its employees, volunteers, constituents or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any reorganization, formation of a new committee or successor organization, asset sale or transfer, financing or lending transaction, or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of the assets of FOS; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you through our Site that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information that does not directly identify you.
Third-Party Links and Tools
Social Sharing Features
The Site may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button). The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
If you sign an online petition, you understand that such petition is public information and that we may make the petition, and your name, city, state, and any comments provided in connection therewith publicly available. In addition, we may provide such petitions or compilations thereof, including your comments, name, city, and state to national, state or local leaders, or to the press.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
For example, we use certain Google Analytics tools, including the following Google Analytics Advertising features:
- Remarketing with Google AdWords
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- Demographics and Interests Reporting
- DoubleClick Platform Integration
This enables Google, to show our ads on sites across the Internet. We, along with third-party vendors such as Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on your past visits to our Site and other sites and to compile data regarding user interactions with ad impressions and other ad service functions as they relate to our website.
Users can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Settings page. Alternatively, you can opt out by visiting the Network Advertising initiative opt out page or permanently using the Google Analytics Opt Out Browser add on.
For more information about other Internet-based ads, or to opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices.
FOS takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Site.
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from FOS by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications.